The Cooking Process
Preparing the Ackee
- First, the Ackee should be boiled in water for approximately 30 minutes. This is called the pre-cooking stage.
- The Ackee is done when a fork can easily penetrate it, not when it begins to fall apart.
- Once the Ackee is done, the water will be drained out of the pot
Preparing the rice
- In a separate pot, the rice should be made while the Ackee is boiling.
Preparing the vegetables
- Vegetables should be cut.
- Cooking oil should be added in a separate pan and heated
- Tomatoes, green peppers, green onions and black pepper should be added
- The Ackee is added to the vegetables and is cooked for approximately 15 minutes
Combining the contents into a meal
- After the Ackee and vegetables have cooked, allow it to simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve rice on a plate first, followed by the Ackee and seasoned vegetables.
For more information on Ackee visit: